ss_blog_claim=94169b0a83b496d7c00add723702f80a

Aug 19, 2010

Random Blurbs and Saving on Groceries

I apologize (again) for it being so long since the last post. I've been off of treatment for a bit and I still feel crappy. It's only changed my symptoms, not reduced them, and now they tell me I'm hypoglycemic too (which explains why I'm still exhausted...I need to actually eat once in a while, LOL). I was also diagnosed with gerd, which sucks because the nurse said my body was so lacking in energy that I"m forced to nap after meals (digestion takes a lot of energy) and you're not supposed to lay down after eating or gerd will act up.

I'm trying to pick up more work on oDesk despite still feeling bad...daycare is becoming necessary, so, therefore, affording it is as well. The work I've found has challenged me, which will help my career goals, and the higher pay rate will really help. I'm now doing piece work for multiple employers over the long-term - diversification. School starts back in three weeks and I want to acclimate to my new schedule and get used to having more time to meet my deadlines.

Now...on to the main reason I'm here when I should be working on an article (or napping...I'm so tired). I want to spread the word about a wonderful program called Angel Food Ministries. They have volunteers all over the country that will take grocery orders and provide pick-up spots. Pick ups are once a month, on the last Saturday of the month. Every month, they provide menus with boxes to choose from...some are standard and others are just for that month. Until this month, I was getting their allergy-free boxes (gluten free breaded chicken and stuff!)...hopefully they'll bring em back next month! They take cash and SNAP (formerly called food stamps) in person and credit/debit both online and in person.

I've been doing this for 2 months now and have just put in my third order. The prices are great (a week's worth of nutritionally balanced dinners for a family of four is $28.95, dropped from $30) and the food is good quality. At a time when $400/month for groceries barely feeds a family at all, this is a great deal! My only suggestion is to make room in your fridge and freezers for all that food! I have a small deep freezer and still had to put in a smaller order this time (though much of that had to do with the fact that my dad was getting the allergy-free boxes for me as well, so I'm well-stocked, LOL!

I better get cracking back on that article because I just got more work and am getting hired for even more tomorrow...no rest for the ambitious, I guess! Besides, I need to try staying awake for longer stretches and hope it helps me regain my strength and brain capacity. I just wanted to check in and pass along that great site in the hopes that it can help you all save on groceries!

4 comments:

  1. Ambrosia, I was thinking of you the other day, hoping you were doing okay and checking out your blog for updates :)
    Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. Jeesh, sweet 16 is such an awfully long time ago for me. hehe ;-)

    I know all about that tiredness you're talking about. Have you considered checking your body for toxins? For example,I have cut down on my overall meat/fish intake and eat more veggies and I do feel better overall.
    Having a wheat allergy is really challenging, but I'm glad you found a great supplier!And although I know you need to meet deadlines with your work--please do remember to get some fresh air once in a while!!!
    A brisk walk around the block will do wonders.

    take care, my friend, and know that I'm here thinking of you and wishing you all the best:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your comment. I am looking into alternative therapies and, though I haven't really exercised, I have been making point to simply get out of the house once in a while and that helps.

    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear from you again. I was hoping that all was ok with you. I hope that you feel better soon. That exhaustion is just a killer.

    Thanks for the info on Angel Food Ministries, I might have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome...they're great! I hope you figure out why you've been so exhausted too! That lavender we love so well works wonders for getting some relaxation in...and may help counter-act that.

    ReplyDelete